Design of Experiments is a technique or conducting a series of planned experiments to study the effect of the processing parameters on the quality of the part. In its simplest form, it is studying the length of the part at two holding pressures and relating the change in the length of the part to the change in pressure. Each of the steps in the 6-step study is also a DOE.
Benefits of doing DOEs
- Gives an idea of process robustness
- Helps identify the most optimal process
- Provides a troubleshooting guide
- Reduces customer returns and thus customer confidence
- Reduces and/or optimizes mold cycle times
- Improves overall efficiency or molding operation
Some of the results of the DOE are described in the Nautilus Software section and describe it.